Saturday, June 2, 2007

Monastery Within




After having a 3 year tantrum about living in Bakersfield I decided to take a cue from the monks and explore the idea of the monastery within. The monks' cells don't have windows and I was told that the reason is the monk's cell is to reflect the inward life. Everything in the cell is designed to turn the soul inward, towards prayer, not to be looking outward onto the world. It seems to me the monks don't get the time they really want to be alone, to pray, to contemplate, to do their own spiritual work. Even in the monastery the world comes to their door and they need to go out in the world to earn a living. Apparently peace is costly where ever one tries to find it.


About a year ago I began to start turning our large yard into a space with little nooks and "secret" places. A semi-monastery for someone who does not care to go out much and prefers solitude. Gardening must be one of the most peaceful activities ever invented so with some help from the menfolk with digging holes, I began planting.....and planting......and buying more and more plants. It has taken over a year but the idea is becoming real. I thought I would post a little tour of the places I've tried to carve out of a not-so-friendly environment. The heat takes its toll every year on the plants. Many just shrivel up and go into bare maintenance mode to survive. But then, I have many seasons like that myself. The worst part, so far, was a heavy frost last year where we had 4 successive days of freezing weather. For Californians, especially southern Californians, it was a disaster for plants. We lost much of our mature landscaping and are starting over in too many places.


Perhaps you'd like to follow me through this jumbled, yet not without a plan, garden that soothes my soul.





Our house is close to a manmade lake. I seldom walk to it because water makes me a bit nervous--I don't swim! But the wildlife there is always fun.








Our front yard is bordered by two neighbors and a ravine. I stay out of the ravine--the dogs love it! Our vet bill for removing foxtails is a line-item in the budget!





The entry to our house has an atrium to the right and a smaller entry area to the left. The left is the last to get attention although this year I began the gardenia hedge which has provided a supply of the super-scented flowers for a few weeks now.





The main atrium in front was nearly all destroyed in the frost. The plants are new and seem to be taking to their new environment. I love roses and have lost count of how many have been planted. Before I had 100 roses and I think I'm going to match that number in another year or two.



The back yard is open and looks out to green and trees. Except for a neighbor across the ravine who occasionally likes to aim his binoculars at our bedroom window, the yard is very peaceful and gives me the space I need. I don't use the pool as much as I used to before the breathing problems began but Byrdie swims nearly every day. When you live in a desert environment just looking at water can be calming.




We put in sliding glass doors from our bedroom so we could enjoy the expanse of the back yard and bring the outdoors in. It was the best idea we've had in a house! We added a small patio under the trees and have had nice cups of tea by just stepping out the door.





My favorite hidden garden spot here is the inner atrium off the living room . This atrium connects the living room and bedroom. This is where the mourning doves have chosen to build nests and where there is actually overhead shade from the sun. I have a little fountain and fan in here. The fan keeps the air moving on days when the temperature reaches over 100o. I can hang plants, pot plants and plant plants depending on what looks good at the Home Depot or my favorite nursery, The White Forest. This is the spot that reflects my soul the best.







Hope you enjoyed the tour. Any gardening hints or design suggestions are most welcome. Please do come again and perhaps next time we can have tea. And if you don't like garden tours, come back later and I'll tell you all about the 2nd mourning dove to nest in the atrium. That can really bore the socks off you.

No comments: