Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Country/Western Music Confession

brought two new Cds with me on this quick trip: Alison Krauss “A Hundred Miles to Go” and Dwight Yokum’s “Dwight Sings Buck.” Both of these albums are A+ first rate IMHO. I’ve always thought that if one had a basic Country music vocabulary one wouldn’t even need a Bible to know all about life and how to live it. I began to imagine how similar listening to Country music is to going to confession.
How’s the world treatin’ you, Father?
Bless me Father, I think I’ve got a heartache.”
I shot a man in Tulsa just to watch him die.
I caught a south-bound train instead of going to Liturgy.
I committed murder down on music row.
I made fun of a boy named Sue.
Last time I was in Bakersfield I met a man I didn’t know, but I sure didn’t like him.
I tried to go down to the river to pray but instead I thought I’d put a bottle to my head and pull the trigger.
I’ve been singin’ Whiskey Lullaby instead of Amazing Grace.
And finally, Lord, if You’d just close up all the honkytonks, we’d be together again!
That about says it all. It’s been a whiskey-drinkin’, country music listenin’ kind of week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh Toc, only you would be able to admit all these "sins." Sounds like you had a busy month...LOL

Cherie