Thursday, March 13, 2008

New Invention To Make Housework Easier

I HAD a filthy dirty grimey drawstring on my kitchen mini-blinds. Cleaning those disgusting cords had been at the back of my mind since moving into the condo 3 months ago--but how? Does one take down the miniblinds, unstring them, run the offending strings through the washer and then try and reassemble the entire thing? No way was that going to happen! Should I use a toothbrush with Comet on it and just brush away until the stiff black grease was gone? Not going to happen either. And then--out of BIRGHTIDEALAND came the thunderbolt of inspiration! Build it and it will get clean!


I began with the first stage--an empty tall box that held Pepsi cans. I was on the right track but it wasn't tall enough to reach the cord. No problem--I'll just add another box. That was too wobbly so I inserted a cookie sheet on top of the Pepsi box for stability--Voila! That worked.

Now for the guts of the system: a tall cup filled with my favorite cleaning solution--Cascade in hot water! After getting it all balanced I then coiled the drawstrings into the liquid. In about one hour I checked how it was coming--the water was dark grey and the cords were all white and clean! Empty out the dirty water, replace with clean water, and soak cords a bit longer.





I pass this along so all my Faithful Readers can build their own Miniblinds Drawstring Cleaning System before the patent application is final. But just remember--you heard about it here first.

1 comment:

Bobbisox said...

Rube Goldberg would weep for joy.