Thursday, January 22, 2009

Amusing Little Wine Story


I'm sure my Faithful 22 readers can appreciate the irony of returning to Sonoma County while on medication that doesn't allow wine consumption. This situation is, in a word, intolerable.

However, we were the recipients of one of our favorite wines for Christmas and I went off my meds for 24 hours so I could enjoy a glass--or two. It was well worth it! So--the next day I placed a call to Windsor Winery to see about picking up some of that wine at their tasting room.


Surprise! There is no more tasting room. But their system of obtaining wine is what prompts this post.

My call was answered and I followed the usual automated number punching system to finally get to a real person--and what a person I got! I got VICTOR, my personal Wine Consultant. He is mine forever. According to the follow up email, Victor has worked there for 17 years, likes salmon, a tossed green salad with a Sauvignon Blanc for his favorite meal, and is also a wine judge. There were several other personal tidbits to help me feel more acquainted with Victor.

But--back to ordering the wine. I inquired about getting 6 bottles of Meritage--which I pronounced Merry-tahge. I was quickly informed it's pronounced "Merri-tege"(rhymes with heritage)--a combination of Meritorious Vintage. Fine. How do I get it?

I have to go through Victor and then,after 1-2 weeks, I drive to the neighboring town of Windsor and go to a loading dock behind the McDonald's and pick up my wine. And no, I can't just go into a store and pick it up. BUT--I get to choose my own wine label and wording for the 6 bottles.

Say what? Yes--and what would I like? So further conversation is spent choosing the design and wording for my Meritage. And Victor also is interested in what other wines I like. I just casually mention a wine from a Russian River winery that has since changed hands. Not to worry! The winemaker for that wine now works for them and they have a wonderful Petit Sirah Victor will be happy to have me taste while I wait for my 6 bottles to be loaded into the Jeep. I'm beginning to like this system of buying wine!

I will keep you posted when the pick up call finally comes.















No comments: