Friday, July 17, 2009

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin', Keep that Minnie Rollin'


Yes, Mr T and I have returned to the road. As with most undertakings, it seemed such a great idea when it was first hatched. I'm sure it will get better.

We left the perfect vacation spot of Sonoma County WHERE WE LIVE and, after a week of prep, headed east. It is always such a shock to re-enter the frenetic world of urban California. The traffic, the freeways, the aggressive drivers......and the great question: Why does California with its overflowing population have the WORST roads with the fewest lanes while states like Montana and South Dakota have these magnificent interstates with no one on them???

We contended with hoardes of 18 wheelers and every imaginable recreational vehicle being towed or driven.
We slogged along on I-80 through Sacramento and over Donner Pass on our way to Sparks, Nevada. At one point the traffic was down to one lane each way and it was a very narrow lane with an ominous drop down to the Truckee River.
Our personal favorite was a big crew cab pickup pulling a toy hauler with FIVE mountain bikes strapped on the back with only 1 orange rope holding it all together.


Guess how we knew when we passed the state line into Nevada???

Right now it is after 8 pm and the temperature is 97o. The RV park has no trees and is beneath the landing pattern for the Reno airport. The Truckee River is nearby but I refuse to leave the A/C to go check it out. River-type persons are frequenting the banks and they are not compelling.
I'm sure it's all just the stress and strain of getting out of California. Excuse me while I hit the deck as I hear the next jet approaching! I wonder if a pinch of Quake-hold would keep my G&T from rattling off the table???

No comments: