Tuesday, November 3, 2009

RSVP

The LADIES are coming for lunch--all 13. This Saturday. I have not entertained in 3 years. I have also gone through two moves that produced Major Snits which usually resulted in me giving/throwing things away. Apparently during one of these snits I gave away the large tablecloths, all my cloth napkins, most of my collectible Homer Laughlin china, a fair amount of stemware and everything else involved in giving a LADIES LUNCHEON AND BIRTHDAY PARTY. I am sunk.

On top of this drop in inventory, the poodle has taken up a very bad habit--when I leave he scratches the carpets. He also sits on the back cushion of the love seat in the living room. It is permanently indented.

The sofa is a lost cause but perhaps I could do something about the scratched carpet--he had clawed it down to the backing in places.

The scratches only showed in the deep blue places so I thought why not get a dark blue magic marker and just color over where the backing shows through? Good idea--except it turned the spots a deep purple.

No problem--get a black magic marker and blend it all together. Wrong--now the carpet had big black spots showing up.

Then I had the Big Brainstorm:  FOOD COLORING! And it was a good idea--I just wish I'd put on gloves first. The blue food coloring which was at least 20 years old(sure glad I didn't throw THAT out during one of my snits) worked great. Unfortunately the coloring will not come off my fingers, nails and cuticles. I have 3 days for it to fade or get scrubbed off. On the other hand, white gloves are never out of style and show remarkable good taste in an age that has forgotten the finer details.

No comments: