Tuesday, March 15, 2011

And Now for Something Completely Different

The Desert Golfing Outting Experience falls in the category of "I'm glad I did that one time." I opted to play 3 of the 4 days of the trip. Remember, I haven't ever played 18 holes on a full-sized golf course--and I think these courses were 'supersized.'

The first thing I noticed was that people here have a real rattlesnake fettish. Either they really do have more snakes than in "our" desert or they just love putting up rattlesnake warning signs. Johnny the Pro had warned us to bring plenty of golf balls because we would not want to waste time trying to find our balls in the rough. Well no kidding, shinola!!! What they call the rough is a canyon, arroyo, wash whatever you want to call it and it's filled with cactus. Being good green golfers they don't have water hazards--they substitute canyons, washes, arroyos filled with things that sting, bite, kill, scratch and snag.

I brought 50 golf balls with me--no problem, just pick them up from my backyard. I'm going home with fewer than 20. I also snagged my new pink golf pants and vest on the ever-present cholla. In fact, they even have a hanging cholla and a cholla that flings its needles at you! I never knew golf could be so fraught with danger.

And this was not the laid-back golf of SeniorLand. Oh no--this was "Hurry Up! Hurry Up! You're slowing down play" kind of golf. Well paint me gray and call me a jackass but we are all grandparents and playing these treacherous holes for the first time. It was rather stressful golf--not much time for taking photos--but driving the golf cart was fun.

The roadrunners came right up to our tables and the javelenas rooted around our patios. The company was great and tolerated having me, the miserable beginner in their midst. Everyone was very encouraging but no one was particularly interested in hearing my theory of the Corelation between the Decline of Western Democracy and the Adoption of the Golf Handicap theory. Maybe next time.......

1 comment:

Janie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.