Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hey! You! Get Offa Mah Cloud



I take my technical continuing education seriously so when Amazon began the hard sell with its 'cloud' I was curious. After all, cloud sounds like such a nice concept. I was promised 5 somethings of free storage and if I bought even 1 MP3 album and put it on this cloud I could have 20 somethings free storage. Now, I don't understand a word of this but I knew something had to be done about storing some music for our RV trips.

Let me back up. My 12 loyal readers will know that I have suffered with a POS Dell laptop for 4 long years. It was born a lemon and it stayed a lemon with no recompense from Dell and left me with a lifelong determination to badmouth all things Dell for the rest of my days. I taunt you, you Dell people--your mothers are hamsters and your fathers smell of elderberries!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSo0duY7-9s&feature=related

Our last RV trip to Arizona left something to be desired in the music department.
http://toccatamundi.blogspot.com/2011/02/music-left-behind.html

So---when I read about keeping music on a cloud and being allowed to play that music from a total of 8 'devices', I thought I should pursue this.To sweeten the deal, Amazon went through a mad spree of giving away FREE MP3 downloads--if they went onto the cloud.



The cloud is like a TV--you don't have to understand it to use it. The free part I don't believe but all the free music was too much to ignore. Then they added the hook to sweeten the deal--the entire opera Don Giovanni for just $2.98!!!! That gave me my 20 somethings of storage for an entire year at no charge!

Now add a new laptop. Yes, the POS Dell is history and I'm trying out a new Sony Vaio. All the cloud settings have to be reset. In the midst of doing this I saw that Amazon was giving away a FREE album of Gregorian Chant. Somehow, I ended up with the new computer playing--I kid you not--simultaneously--a Bach Brandenburg Concerto, "Blessed Assurance"( free daily MP3 download) and the Gregorian Chant FREE album I was trying to upload to that cloud. I couldn't find any OFF button for the cloud. I could pause it but there would still be 2 of the 3 pieces going at once. Mr. T was practically begging for "Whiskey Lullaby."

I never did solve the problem. I had to turn everything off and don't dare go back to my cloud to see what is happening. Speaking of clouds, I will tell you more about this recent trip up to see the giant coastal redwoods. It has not been our finest hour.

No comments: