Sunday, March 25, 2007

Maybe I Shoulda Stood in Bed!


This trip did not have an auspicious beginning. The first morning I dropped a boombox on my face(don't ask) and split open my upper lip. Not a pretty site but if anyone asks, I'm just saying I'm beginning collagen injections! Then I slammed the side door of the Minnie totally shut on my right thumb. Yikes!!! So much for giving up swearing for Lent. But, the trip must go on so I limped away from Holy Resurrection Monastery with much trepidation.
Pictured are Fr. Nicholas and Fr. Basil seeing me off and promising prayers for a good trip. I hope they persevere in prayers because I think I'm going to need them.

I didn't get very far before I just had to snap a picture of some classic desert art. This lovely decor is in Goffs, CA. It's efforts like this that make desert living worthwhile !
There was a lot of roadwork on I-15 but only in California would the caution signs for motorists blink "Please Drive Friendly"




That first day on the road it actually rained most of the time. If you've never smelled the desert in a rainstorm you've missed one of life's great treats. There were some small washouts, cold temps and mud that discouraged one from pulling off the road.


I arrived in Quartzsite just before dark so I got to make my hook-ups while I could still see the rig. The 2nd thing I did was mix up a triple-purpose gin and tonic--hold glass and ice to swollen lip, drink, hold thumb in drink for pain. Repeat until drink is gone. Repeat as necessary

No comments: