Monday, November 10, 2008

Rude Roots

























I ventured outside the perimeter of SeniorLand to run some errands and get my hair done. What could be more normal than this type of activity?

The beauty shop is just one room--a cozy parlor in an old Victorian house. In this room are 2 stations, 1 sink, and 2 chairs for clients to wait. In other words, if you're in the room, you are in the action!


As I waited for my operator to take me, another patron was getting pretty worked up about the recent election and doing quite a trash job on Sarah Palin. This was annoying since the atmosphere was too public for such a topic. But obviously her mama hadn't raised her right.


Inevitably I was included in this "discussion" and I was asked to agree. I piped up that in fact, I didn't agree and had voted for Sarah Palin.

The beauty shop went silent. Then the plastic-draped, red-dye dripping, wet-headed woman turned in her chair and looking straight at me demanded,

"ARE YOU DELUSIONAL???"

Well! How does one handle such a blatant attack upon one's character in public? I simply replied that I was a conservative--VERY conservative.


I didn't make any apologies and I glared back at her. Evidently she expected me to be apologetic for my views and when I wasn't, she wasn't sure how to proceed. Trying to have a political discussion--or even a free-for-all while having one's roots touched up is not the best venue.

But what is society coming to? A personal attack in the safety of one's beauty salon? One can barely cope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aha, you now know that you moved into a very, very liberal location, we conservatives are a minority here. Wait until next 2009 and you’ll see what they have up their sleeves for us.

Anonymous said...

Sheila has left a new comment on your post "Rude Roots":

Well said, Toc. If more of us had spoken up BEFORE the election, the result might have been different.
Even though I thought the other ticket was a disaster waiting to happen, I NEVER trashed any of the participants the way poor Sarah was trashed. Frankly I thought she was a breath of fresh air. But then, what do I know?
Hope your hair is beautiful as always,

T said...

They're the ones that suffer from delusion. BTW You look mahvelous!