Friday, November 28, 2008

Playing Spoiler with the Christmas Secularists


Leafing through the Jackson and Perkins catalog I stumbled across this ad for mailing a live, fully decorated CHRISTMAS tree. Only they didn't call it a CHRISTMAS tree--big mistake. I have taken to my bed after too much action on Thanksgiving. That gives me time on my hands and a 'tude to match!
ORIGINAL AD FOR "HOLIDAY" TREE
Perfectly decorated live trees, right out of the box! Our live holiday trees are beautifully pre-decorated with handcrafted ornaments and lights, ready to display the moment they arrive.
Subject: Customer ServiceTopic: Product information
Dear Jackson & Perkins:
'The correct term is CHRISTMAS TREE. Your offensive use of 'holiday' tree turned me off completely on ordering one of your CHRISTMAS trees for my mother. You are doing your own sales department a disservice in trying to re-name such a traditional custom for this time of year.When you change from your misguided sense of what is "PC", I might consider buying CHRISTMAS gifts from your company.
Sincerely,
Toc

Dear Toc,
Jackson and Perkins Thank you so much for contacting us here at Jackson and Perkins! We value our customers’ comments and questions highly, and we appreciate hearing from you.We often refer to the holidays as the gift-giving season from Thanksgivings to New Year. Because of this extended period of time, you may find items offered as holiday gifts or Christmas gifts. In our most recent newsletter, you will find both terms used. It was not our intention to offend any of our customers.
Again, thank you for writing to us. If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us. To help us serve you better, please use the Reply button to respond so that all previous communications will be included. Thank you for gardening with Jackson and Perkins!
Angie Jackson and Perkins Customer Contact Team2
I see they use the auto-response generator to placate customers. I will point this out to them.
Subject: Re: Feedback Form for JacksonAndPerkins
Dear Angie,

No one in the world uses a "holiday" tree except for a CHRISTMAS tree. That's my objection--that's the reason I will not buy one from you. A holiday turkey? OK. A holiday decoration? OK. But it is a CHRISTMAS tree!!!! No other holiday uses one!
The main function of language--except for politicians--is to clarify. It is always preferable to use a more specific word rather than a word that "fogs" the meaning. Christmas is more specific than holiday. What you are selling is a tree for Christmas--not for any other occasion. So, I repeat--I find your unwillingness to use the word 'Christmas'--especially in this context--offensive and I refuse to purchase one for my mother.
Sincerely,
Toc
From Jackson & Perkins

Dear Cynthia,(WHO IS CYNTHIA? My name is Toc)
Thank you for your reply. These trees are most often Christmas trees on our web site. Our newsletters may say holiday gifts and trees or Christmas gifts and trees. I'm sorry to learn that you were offended by our use of the tern holiday tree. It was not our intention to be offensive in any way.
Again, thank you for writing to us. If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us. To help us serve you better, please use the Reply button to respond so that all previous communications will be included. Thank you for gardening with Jackson and Perkins!
EvaJ ackson and Perkins Customer Contact Team2

Dear Eva

You must be getting more complaints about your use of "holiday" trees than just my emails. You just sent me the same automated response--which is to say--a non-response. So much for how you deal with your customers. If you are generating enough negative response to your use of "holiday" tree, isn't that a hint to your marketing department that they are offending a significant part of your customer base?
Sincerely,
Toc
Apparently Eva decided the correspondence was over for now. But encouraging news! Today's mail brought my WE SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS bumper sticker that I got on Ebay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Toccata,
Excellent work.

I was turned off with the "Holiday Tree" in my cataloge too!

Beaucmary