Wednesday, March 18, 2009

List of Possible Disasters


It seems the Crisis Mode is taking hold. Even assuming I could get an acre of food to grow it would not be any food I would choose. Face it--chard is only one step up from gathering leaves in the woods.


I've been scoping out the wildlife here in SeniorLand and it is
abundant. Of course spotting a turkey and actually catching a turkey are two different things, even if the labradoodle learns to hunt.
But in the midst of this Crisis Planning I discovered a list of possible catastrophes that could happen. Oy vey! I hadn't even thought about most of these!
http://www.survival-center.com/guide/disastrs.htm

Possible Disasters OR Think nothing can happen to you?
Well, Teflon man, take a look at these potential disasters and think again:

Natural Disasters Weather-related

Hurricanes--nope
Tornadoes--nope
Heavy thunder storms--not yet
Flash flooding --nope
Mud/rock slides--not here
High winds--nope
Hail --what's that?

Severe winter weather

Avalanche--in Sonoma County? Doesn't that need mountains + snow?
Extreme high heat--nope
Drought --got one, thank you
Wildfire--YES! BINGO!

Non Weather-related

Earthquake--every Californian lives with this possibility and also ignores/jokes about it--this is probably not a good idea to face our most likely crisis.
Volcano eruption--not lately
Tidal wave/Tsunami --say what????

Man-made Disasters

War (conventional, biological, chemical or nuclear)--who wants to survive these? Drink the Kool-Aid
Toxic material emission/spill (from a train or nearby plant)--It would be hard to tell since the majority of people here think that if someone spits on the sidewalk it's the equivalent of a toxic spill. I simply think it's an egregious lapse in good manners.

Riot or other civil disorder--too mellow here for that--might have to put down glass of wine
Nuclear plant melt down or other nuclear disaster--can't happen. I have seen the "Nuclear Free Zone" signs posted on every corner.

Terrorism--now this is likely--especially if the terrorism of the local Hall Monitors increases
Fire--again, this one is the most likely

Government action against you --now we're getting into the really good stuff! Will they try and tax my Survival Acre of chard???

Stock market crash --got that now
Sever depression--this one puzzled me. Do they mean "severe" depression? A depressed person seldom wants to plant an acre of crops. Or do they mean "server" depression? This I can understand! AOL can drive one to the very brink of despair!

Other Plague or disease outbreak--this could happen. We have enough plague-bearing squirrels and raccoons running around here but since I already have my very own personal disease outbreak I think I won't spend valuable worry time on this one.

Comet strike or giant meteor--never thought of it--it would certainly take out the Survival Garden
Alien invasion--now we're talking! I don't listen to Coast To Coast for nothing! Most callers think this happens nightly. I'll brush up my Reptilian list on Facebook.
I will be glad to take up my post as Worry Warden for the upcoming Crisis Days we surely have ahead of us.

No comments: