Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Real Swinger

Golf seems to require quite a few accessories--even more than the iPod. Unfortunately there are no 'apps' to download to make the game run better. I have yet to advance from the driving range or putting green to the actual golf course but I'm looking better.












First, the clubs. The wonderful old clubs with REAL woods and familiar irons has been replaced by a cheap, Chinese knock-off set in powder blue. The first set was actually men's clubs and had been mismarked. After we figured out that problem and exchanged them for "ladies clubs" things began to improve. At least I wasn't jarring my bones by slamming the club heads into the ground more than I was hitting the ball.


The second required item was a pair of golf shoes. Egads--not at those prices. Ebay to the rescue and I got a great pair with no wear at all for a mere $7.00. In the sunlight, the white of the leather is so bright I feel I'm staring into the headlights of an oncoming car--but we will manage. Mr. T rather likes the saddle shoes/school girl uniform motif.


Today I got the third piece of equipment: a golf cart to push the clubs around in. By taking the NEON YELLOW floor model I got a nice reduction in price. It has a cup holder(the most important feature) and is very light. But it is an IQ test in disguise. I counted 11 definite steps that must be taken to fold/unfold the cart! At least the old duffers will be able to see me coming with that bright yellow.



The Pro is a very good teacher. I've discovered that the definition of a golf pro is someone who says where he is going to hit the ball before he actually hits it--and the ball goes there! It is amazing to see that happen. He is very big on having a "routine" about hitting each shot. For someone who avoided stepping on cracks for the first 16 years of her life, this is a reassuring part of the game.
For now, I'm content to go to the golf clinic and try and hit the ball most of the time. It is great practice on learning to be IN one's body and not floating off into daydreaming or alpha. And, on a practical note, Byrdie has been very quick to learn to retrieve the golf ball when I'm practicing putting on the carpet.

No comments: