Monday, August 13, 2007

Are We Almost There Yet?

Who couldn't love a town named Spearfish? And now I'm hearing from all quarters that there is a famous drugstore to check out. And news from a friend that he has just moved to a small town outside of Spearfish! Does this mean that Spearfish is the Urb and it has suburbs?? And, to top it all off, the wonderful lady at the KOA in Mitchell, SD, has a sister who lives in Spearfish and she had such wonderful things to say about staying there. I hope the build-up in my mind doesn't lead to disappointment.


At the last minute I decided to go see Mt. Rushmore. As tempting as it was to stay in an RV park called "Rush No More", I opted for a very quiet, small park that will allow Byrdie to swim in the lakes on the property. There will be no TV and no internet for those days and I expect I will be glad for the solitude. I explained to a nice park ranger person that the only thing I knew about Mt. Rushmore was what I had seen in "North By Northwest" and it took him awhile to get his laughing under control. Apparently one can drive right up to it and look or sign up for any number of tours that drive around. I will look for a luxury tour if I have any strength left. Otherwise, I will just watch the movie again.

Here is the almost-completed trip iteinerary. C'mon, Wing! You promised constructive help here!


August 29th-30th--Custer, Wyoming--or is it South Dakota?

Why is there more than one Custer anywhere??? Thanks, Wing, for pointing this out. Since I have already confused Green River, Utah, and Green River, Wyoming, I must double-check. Same river, two different states.



Sigh...this is really not easy for someone whose idea of the known world ends at the California state line.







August 31st--Mitchell, South Dakota

HOME OF THE CORN PALACE
I am anticipating doing a live blogcast from this famous national icon.











All that is left now is to get across the state of Minnesota without crossing any bridges. Hungerford has come up with the superb suggestion of traveling up the North Coast to the small town of Two Harbors.

Somehow one imagines a town large enough for two harbors would be an Urb but lake people do things differently. The promise of pies at the World Famous Betty's Pie Place has me hungry already. There apparently are no RV places after leaving a place called Duluth. I think they must be hearty folk so far north since camping to them--according to the websites I've visited so far--means a site where one can build a fire and have access to water. No site has even mentioned RV access. There is not a KOA or a Wal-Mart to be found for RVers!




My travel source for this part of the country suggests that I could take in Pipestone in Minnesota, Laura Ingalls Wilder country around Walnut Grove, eat fine German low-fat, no transcontinental fatty foods in a place called New Ulm.



http://www.walnutgrove.org/wghistory.htm

Lodging is still a big problem in this part of the country. And the next day will be a Sunday--it would be nice to get to mass at least once on this trip. RV camping has been the most frustrating in this part of Minnesota!



There is a place called Kandiyohi County that seems to have a good system of parks where they have places for RVs. SEEMS seems to be the operative word! It's a first-come, first-dibs basis. The few private RV parks want a commitment for all 3 days of the Labor Day week-end. I sure hope these little towns have Wal-Marts that allow poor, stranded RVers!

Thank you, WingQuest for your invaluable help!

2 comments:

WingHaz said...

I think you mean Custer, S.D., not Custer, Wyo.

I'm glad you're going to see Mount Rushmore. It's really great. Hope you can also see the Crazy Horse Monument.

Toc said...

Crazy Horse is definitely on the tour!