Thursday, October 11, 2007

Is It Me or Is It THEM??


Why can't things get done right? Why is nearly every transaction screwed up? My chronicles of incompetence continue. Today's story is about Kodak photo developing on-line.

While I was checking in at a KOA on my trip I noticed a very enticing stack of coupons put out by Kodak and appealing to KOA campers. It very prominently promised a FREE 20-print introductory photo album to KOA users who would try the Kodak printing for the first time. Examine the coupon--pretty simple, pretty clear. So, I stuffed it into my purse and didn't fish it out until I got home. "What's to lose," I wondered. Of course I shouldn't have bothered but some small part of my psyche still thinks companies don't lie.


I spent about one hour going through my vacation digital pics and choosing my favorite pictures of all the grandchildren. I thought a nice "Grandma Album" that I didn't have to print out myself would be good. Also, if I liked their work, it would be nice to sometimes get the printing done by mail rather than have to sit at the computer and print out my own shots.
I was a little suspicious when I had to sign up for a Kodak account to access the coupon's value but I'd done such things before. I spent another hour finally getting my 20 files uploaded and then it was check-out time. Sure enough, there was a space for me to enter my "special" code that would cancel out the usual album charge.

Hmmmm--that's odd; the total still read $23.50. Where was my free album? No place to email them with a question. No phone number where you can talk with a real person. At least I'd used Discover creditcard and they are fantastic about disputes.


QUANT. ITEM UNIT PRICE SUBTOTAL---------------------------------------------------------- 20 5 x 7" prints $0.99 $19.80---------------------------------------------------------- Subtotal: $19.80 Tax: $1.24 ------------- Shipping, US Postal Service: $2.49

RECIPIENT TOTAL: $23.53----------------------------------------------------------
Sincerely, KODAK EASYSHARE Gallery
Did you see anything about my coupon discount?? NO--it isn't there!
Now here's where it stands: Kodak MEANT that I would get a $6.00 discount applied towards my next order!!! Check their coupon again. Trust me--the back of it says nothing. Not one place does it say a dollar amount towards subsequent orders! It says FREE PHOTO ALBUM.
I will keep you posted on this issue. Kodak wants me to "refuse shipment" when the photos arrive and send them back. THEN they will credit my Discover card. What miserable cheapskae phonies they are. Did someone say BOYCOTT BABY?????
So, I am now fussing with Kodak pictures as well as Home Depot. Except Home Depot is easy! I've already told the painter to use any brand of paint he wants as long as it's NOT HOME DEPOT!

Future blogs will be about incompetence with Dell computers--although that one is such a huge example of total incompetence and Customer (non) Satisfaction that I will really have to be more succinct in the re-telling of it. Meanwhile--don't buy one!

1 comment:

Toc said...

I have used Shutterfly and been very pleased with the quality and price and service. They also didn't try and trick/lie to me with a phony "free" ad.