Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Techno Nightmare Writ Large

I am not the same Toc. Within two months I have had my faithful desktop PC crash and burn beyond repair or retrieval of anything on the hard drive. The POS Dell, of course, keeps limping along, backed up by Carbonite. No such luck with the desktop. For my birthday, Mr. T got me a Mac--trust me--it is NOT your daddy's Mac. I can't made heads or tails out of it.

Then my faithful Olympus camera fell out of the Jeep and shattered on the pavement. Even though I got as similar a model as I could, I am going to have to open the pages of the instruction manual. As we used to say, BUMMER.

And now the final insult--I lost my cell phone. This was the cell phone I've clung to for years. I refused to upgrade and have to sign a 2 year contract with Verizon. I wasn't going to get another cell phone--who needs one? Well, it turns out that I need one! All the time!! Off to Best Buy to stimulate the economy once again. I got the phone that resembled my old one but it doesn't really. The only thing going in the new phone's favor is that it's purple. Guess I'll be in bed with all those Verizon support folk for the next two years now.

Since I've moved so far out of my techno-comfort zone I then signed up for an online class to learn Photoshop CS4. On the Mac. Which I can barely turn on. Which looks nothing like a PC. Which is weird--sorry Users--it's weird. We shall keep you posted. How does one know what time to show up for an online class?

Some of you more astute readers might be wondering where the time will come from to play golf. Try and keep on the same page--golf is out. Racked up too many joints, tendons and soft tissue injuries. The doc has put me on the DL--at least for the next few months. At least I never got around to investing in all the ugly golf outfits.

So, for now, with both thumbs splinted and my right lower elbow trussed up like a turkey, I will try to amuse you with learning this new version of Photoshop on a computer that might as well have dropped from the planet Zenon. It's so pitiful it's almost funny.

No comments: