Tuesday, December 1, 2009

La plume de ma tante est sur la table


As Mr. T has observed, I know just enough French to be dangerous. How right he is!

Part of our family lives in France. I thought Amazon.com was global--just send Christmas presents from California and anything over $25 would get the free shipping. WRONG!!!! A little 10 euro candle cost 50 euros for shipping.

So I was directed to Amazon.fr and told I would already be linked up there. Well gosh and golly--I sure was!! I was greeted Bonjour Toc--and then it was point and click and guess. It was all in French!! No press 2 for Spanish in France. Uh-uh. But I bumbled my way through with what remnants of high school French I remembered and thought I'd gotten to the gift certificate section.


They didn't want dollars--they wanted euros! Provide a conversion feature--uh-uh. Not the French. Side trip to Google to find out what equals what. The number that came up just looked funny in the way that numbers can do. One doesn't give a gift certificate for what looks like $267.43--too weird--so I rounded up and typed in 500 euros. The number that came up looked more like 500,000 euros but it was missing a zero. I figured they just must do numbers differently in France so I clicked on continuer(must be the same, right??)

I think I was doing okay until I got to the credit card part. I didn't realize the French do dates differently. But I realized it early this morning when the bank called saying the charge to our bank card had been denied because a wrong expiration date had been given. Dang! Failure!

Another hour spent today sloshing through the French and making guesses. This time I actually got an email back saying

Merci d'avoir commandé un chèque-cadeau sur Amazon.fr !
Informations sur la commande :

------------------------------------------------------------


Chèque(s)-cadeau(x) commandé(s) (N° de commande
 
The bad part is that I've either sent them 500 euros, 500 euros twice, 500,000 euros, or 500,000 euros twice. Or all of the above. Je n'est pas a single clue! Oh well--joyeux Noel.

No comments: