Saturday, December 5, 2009

Laying Down Electronic Footprints

Wiretapping? Interception of emails? Missing transcripts and birth certificates?
None of the above.

I'm talking about a basic female need to shop without being followed. It used to be very basic--you grabbed your wallet, cell phone and SUV and headed out. Sure, maybe you called over your shoulder, "Gotta run down to the drug store and pick up the photos." as you headed out the door. And then you went to the mall, downtown, Costco, antique stores and boutiques--whatever.

My cousin and I were discussing that those days are no more. Mind you, we are both married to men who love data, spreadsheets and online banking. Now, when we come home we are greeted with:
--Thanks for filling up the Jeep.
--The total at the drug store sure was a lot for just pictures--and $40 in cash?
--Why did you go to the mall? Didn't you just buy a sweater last week? And $30 in cash??
--I didn't know they had a boutique upstairs in the hardware store. And $20 in cash???
--Have a nice lunch at Vladamir's? Was it wise to have 2 glasses of wine at $8 a glass and then drive?
--You forgot to get my prescription for my colonoscopy prep while you were at the drug store.
--What's cloisoinne?

How do they know these things? Because they are FOLLOWING US ON THE COMPUTER!! Every transaction shows up immediately on the spreadsheet and online banking program! Even salting away a few extra dollars in cash is right there before I can even spend it!
How does one shop for Christmas presents? There's no point in trying to keep purchases a surprise for under the tree--forget it. "I see you got a vest in only a large. If that's for me you should know I wear an EXTRA large now."
Is there an App out there that will disguise how the credit cards are really being used? I go to Macy's and it shows up on the computer read out that I got an edger blade at Home Depot? We need more women in science. Forget George Bush. Forget Al Gore. Get me an App that covers my shopping footprints!!

1 comment:

Jim said...

All right Toc. Better be careful, cause I'm tracking your email too.

By the way, what's cloisoinne?