Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Invasion of the iPod




"Now don't forget to get yourself a really great birthday present!" These were the words I remember Mr. T saying to me back before the meds began working and the chances of me venturing out to places that sell Big Ticket Items seemed remote. But Sunday I was in Costco--the Temple to Consumerism--and I found myself in front of a huge exhibit of gizmos with Apples on them. 8 GB, 16 GB, a bazillion GB--all models, limited colors. And I heard those birthday words in my mind and I acted--I bought an iPod Touch. (Toccata=to touch, or 'touched')





I have not been the same person since. I remember when the first Apple computers came with no instruction manual--they advertised they were so easy to use one didn't need instructions! Oh my dear 18 readers--this is no longer the case.
And the so-called instructions have only one instruction: go to http://www.youareanidiot.com/ to view the tutorials. (that is not a real link)


3 days later and countless hours at the computer I now have exactly ONE song on the iPod. And I had to pay for it! I have viewed tutorials, opened accounts, seen more albums that I've never heard of and sorted through more advertisements than a sane person should tolerate. For ONE song!!!

Nevertheless, off I went for the regular eye exam with my trendy iPod Touch. In the waiting room I sat next to some kid who had similar wires coming out of his ears. I wanted to ask him so many questions but my courage failed me. However, there were 2 knowledgeable young assistants who helped me figure out how to get the ONE song to stop playing after I turned the iPod off, explained that I couldn't erase pictures from the thing without the computer and I needed probably another $500 of 'absolutely necessary' equipment to take full advantage of the Pod. Just call me iIdiot. With fully dilated eyes, they pointed me in the direction of the Apple Store in the downtown mall.


Story to be continued after imbibing adult beverages--it has been a harrowing day.




No comments: