Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The iSaga Continues....



Remember that I have spent most of the last 7 months in bed--hardly ever venturing out of the house. 3 days of fretting over the new techno-toy, the iPod Touch--had rendered me in a nervous state worthy of my southern ancestors who regularly got the vapors. With my ONE song playing on my new iPod and with my eyes fully dilated from the opthamologist visit, I drove to the Mall.





Ah declare--butter my butt and call me a biscuit! I'd forgotten how frantic the pace is at malls. The parking garages are huge and hazardous; there are all kinds of people all over the place. And the lights! Maybe it was just my eyes but even wearing shades, the lights were painfully bright. I started to the kiosk to ask directions to the Apple Store only to be brushed aside by a couple who in other days would have been labeled bums or counter-culture. They were also asking directions to the Apple Store.


We needn't have bothered--the lines coming out of that store looked like a casting call for a remake of Woodstock R Us. I naturally assumed everyone had bought an iPod and couldn't figure out how to turn it off, put on music, decipher something called iTunes or keep the ear buds in my ears instead of falling out on my shoulders. I WAS WRONG!!!!!




All these people in a rough approximation of a line were there for new cell phones--called, predictably enough, iPhones. The mall store was nearly out and people were signing up to get in line for the last remaining iPhones.




(Aside: after my last cell phone I took a vow of never, ever getting another one. I learned about half of its capabilities and still have the brain scars from getting on top of my learning curve. So what if the battery falls out of the back all the time? I don't care--that's what duct tape is for.)

Since I didn't need an iPhone I pushed my way into the store to be greeted by Ms. iPerky who informed me she was a camp counselor for Apple Camp. She wanted me to go One on One--knowing the reputation for this mall I hoped it wasn't a gang rumble. I politely declined and then found Colin the Capable. He took the iPod and with several magical flips and taps he explained in a very clear way that iTunes was an APPLICATION that enabled me to program the iPod so I have a prayer of getting more than ONE song on it. He also directed me to yet another charger cord so I can charge the iThing from an outlet, not just a computer.







We are definitely making progress. I paid whatever was required to get my charger and get out of the (still) hairy yet balding crowd frantic for iPhones and made my way back to the very un-PC Jeep. iGranny had survived another adventure ITRW(in the real world)



All the same, pass me mah salts!

1 comment:

Bobbisox said...

it looks like you could use some kind of new phone, duct tape notwithstanding. Many people love their I touches. Keep an eye out on the credit card statement, DBS had 2 months of charges from I tunes after he was out to sea and not buying songs. OH, and remember that the computer you started the I-touch with is the "dedicated computer" for it. The application also loves to strip out the previous songs and videos when you add more stuff. Just sayin'