Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Golf--A Good Walk Ruined


I did not receive the mystery of initiation into the attraction of golf when I played my first nine holes yesterday. Sigh.....

I did receive aches and frustrations. It took me an hour to get ready to go. The purse to carry the camera, cell phone, bee sting shot, the inhaler for lung choke up, a hoody in case it rained or got cold, a fruit drink, nail file, Actifed for allergy attack, Kleenex and hand sanitizer! That ought to do it--I also brought 24 golf balls--just in case.


The first tee--the first shot--the first lost ball. Dang!

The first tee--the 2nd shot--the 2nd ball not exactly lost but into the trees and creek bed. And that's how it went.
How does a ball land in a sprinker valve???



After 3 holes I grabbed a shaded bench and rested, waving several other players through. A sign said "Restrooms and Refreshments ahead" and I wondered why I hadn't just driven the Jeep down to the clubhouse and skipped the physical punishment?
The fairways looked beautiful--I was actually on a fairway about 4 times in 9 holes.


I had a guardian angel watching out for me. Pete the "Players' Assistant" checked on me about every 2-3 holes. His encouragement kept me going although he drew the line at going back to my house, fixing me a G&T and bringing it out on the course.


One bunker put up quite a battle and won. I got lost and going the wrong way looking for the 6th tee.But 58 strokes and 2+ hours later I dragged back to the Clubhouse. And today I have taken to mah bed. By the way, have you all heard the Robin Williams routine on the invention of golf? It's on YouTube--but watch out for the f bombs. It has to be the funniest thing out there about this silly game.


The 9th green--Hallelujah!


DO IT ONCE? NO! YOU'LL DO IT EIGHTEEN TIMES!!!!!

2 comments:

T said...

roflmao great post Toccata! I can just see you now dragging the clubs and mumbling, then stopping to take a beautiful picture of a deer. Awww. Well, it's confirmed. Yer nae Scottish, lass. lolol

Toc said...

Oh aye Lassie--I'm as Scottish as they come! An' I'll no be beaten down by a feckin' golf course!