Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Our Greens Are Rolling at Close to 10 on the Stimp Meter

A Stimp Meter???? The greens are now rolling? And I won't even go into the snipet of conversation I overheard comparing Big Bertha to a Bazooka. Should we duck and cover or alert Homeland Security?



What was there to blog about before golf? Where to begin? Today was golf class with Johnny the Grip. The usual 14 determined golfers gathered at the far end of the driving range for class--FAIRWAY WOODS.
If I ever end up in a fairway, this could be a good bit of intel to have. My problem was that I only have a 3 wood. Well, I also have a driver but after I got finished hacking off over an inch from the shaft and having it re-gripped it's not exactly like it was.

So today my class partner was a lovely, athletic German woman. I knew I was in the minor leagues when she introduced herself with "Hallo. Mein Name ist Liesel." This was accompanied by the one, sharp, firm handshake. She maybe weighed 100 pounds--all muscle and sinew. My guess is she was on the short side of 70 and the shortest I saw her hit that golf ball was 170 yards!

"Wow!" I exclaimed. "You're so good at this! You really get your lower body strength into your swing! How do you do that???"

"Oh no--Zis is terrible. I haven't been the same since my accident. I had a bad accident when I was riding my bike and nearly died. They had to put in a metal plate--if I didn't ski I probably couldn't hit the ball at all."
Okay. Biking. Skiing. Nearly died. Still whacks the ball 170 yards. I don't have a chance. I grew up playing with dolls, practicing the piano and writing plays for all the cousins to perform. I bet Liesel knows what a Stimp Meter is.



















1 comment:

Jim said...

Wow, Wonder Woman has big bazookas too. I wonder how she plays golf. I bet a young male drew her.