Friday, September 14, 2007

Hey! It's Technically Still Summer!!!

Sept. 14, 2007
Illusions about living outside of California are dropping as rapidly as the leaves off the trees here in the Big Woods. Just because we had some days in Bakersfield that were 116o whatever could have made me think that cold weather would be nice? It’s not nice!! It’s--it’s--what is the word? It’s COLD. Cold makes one want to stay under the covers; cold makes my knees hurt; cold means you needs lots of blankets and lots of clothes!
Before leaving California, almost as an afterthought, I threw in my heaviest coat--the one with the hood I bought six years ago for the Alaska cruise--plus a pair of gloves, a sweater, one long-sleeved shirt, a few pairs of socks and a hat. I thought I might need such things if our trip went into October and we were somewhere that has “cold.” I have worn all those things so far--and mostly all at the same time!! It’s still not enough clothing. The surprising thing is seeing so many children here still running around without so much as a sweater. Don’t their mothers know how cold out it is? Why are these wee ones even allowed outside when it is only 45o? I’m very thankful I brought an electric blanket along--plus a heating pad for “just in case.”
Another odd weather event is making me rethink this type of climate. When it got so dang cold it also got windy and rainy. Not just overcast--real rain! It had thunder and lightning thrown in as well just in case somebody tried to ignore the buckets of water added to the systemic cold shock. I always thought of rain as something that smelled good and cleaned the dust out of the air. This rain only smells wet and forget about walking in it to cool off. You’d be a human icicle if you got wet and stayed outdoors!
I had to visit the medical clinic here for a meds check. (I have to put in a plug for the Marshfield Clinic system in Wisconsin--it’s fantastic! Wisconsin has the eighth best healthcare system in the nation.) I suppose the doctor noticed how bundled up I was because we got to talking about our search for the ideal retirement place. His quick assessment was brief and to the point: winters here are brutal--you’d never make it. Have you thought about Oahu? That just might be the best advice I’ve ever gotten at a doctor’s visit!

No comments: