Tuesday, April 3, 2007

April 3, 1907

DOWNTOWN





I mentioned yesterday about the growling cow--well here it is. This cow did NOT moo--she growled! Just look at the mug on her face and you can tell this is not a contented cow.






After this menacing cow it was nice to come across a very friendly horse. With a few "here horsey, here horsey" calls, she trotted right over and let me rub her ears and scratch her neck. It's all very picturesque.




On our way to see the Llano Cowboy Church we passed a large ranch with great wrought-iron gates. I was startled to see a life-size white rhino statue right next to the driveway on the other side of the gate. Apparently this rancher also keeps camels, giraffes and other 'un-Texan' critters on his ranch. It certainly catches one's eye driving along the road!





Today I'm in the wonderful town library--our taxes at work in the best way! It's 82o outside and the humidity is 100%. This sure beats last night sitting on that exposed bench on the sidewalk with the traffic racing by. For your viewing pleasure, here are a few shots of the "View from the Bench."






Now--the store that so kindly provides a bench for bloggers on the loose and stealing band width is a used book store. Check out the notices posted on this guy's store door and try and guess how well he fits into this town! When I asked my cousin about him he said that, "yes, he's a mite strange." When I asked how so, his answer was, "Well, he jogs."




I still find that the funniest comment. This is the rock-solid liberal agenda but what makes him odd is that he JOGS!!!!!


Just one last word about food. Today I had the best chicken-fried steak, huge mound of mashed potatoes with so much gravy over all of it I had to hunt for the steak, corn and a kind of fruit salad. It was all great except the fruit. I'm sure that would have been good as well if they could have figured out a way to fry it up!


At the potluck for the Art Guild workshop everyone brought food. It was my idea of a successful pot luck--the number of desserts was equal to the number of casseroles. There were at least 4 kinds of deviled eggs. I haven't seen so many deviled eggs since my last funeral! Lots of chicken dishes and good barbeque. These folks sure like eating. I was too full for dessert but was told it was the custom to ask to "take a plate home" for daddy or yourself for later. Then everyone wants you to put more of the food on it because of course it would be "too much trouble to have to take any of this stuff back home!" I like their customs!

Tomorrow we go to Austin to visit an aunt and another cousin.
Last night as Byrdie and I walked back to the RV, toting the bag with puter, camera and all immediate essentials, we had to walk over the bridge over the Llano River. The sun had nearly set and it was one of those beautiful moments that come when you're not expecting it. So, for today, I'll leave you all with this.


















2 comments:

R.V. said...

So why did the cow grawl at you? Yah, I know those moments when you are there at the perfect time or place. So your'e going to see more relitives. Like I told you be careful because you are like anouther mom to me. Say hi to Byrdi for me, ok. Rember I'll always write to you

The Ouimettes said...

Milly, you're an outstanding writer. Hemingway, Steinbeck come to mind. The pictures are fabulous. And I LOVE the tale of the "weird" jogger.
Love, Dilly