Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Put Not Your Trust in Princes nor NavSys

I tried to outrun the wind but it has continued to chase me since Fort Stockton, Texas. I left Las Cruces during a lull and made it to Arizona.

Once again, I was surprised at how rapidly the desert changed as soon as I crossed the state line. The Arizona desert is beautiful. The mesquite had greened up dramatically in the last two weeks and there were yellow wildflowers everywhere I looked.

I was rapidly getting tired of the monotony of I-10 so I just decided to get off on a road that looked like it would loop down to Bisbee. I had wanted to see it earlier and didn't have the time. Feeling quite adventurous I took off into the southern Arizona desert. Equipped with a cell phone and state-of-the-art navigation system what was there to fear? I soon found out. The NavSys aka "Roxie" does not work when there are no satellites! I never thought about it. Knowing where one is has always been rather mysterious to me and it was just another piece of hi-tech that has made my life easier. Roxie simply announced she had lost satellite connection. Then she started asking me if I were inside or out.
This was a bad sign--why would I have the RV inside anywhere??? Then she asked me if I were still in Arizona--whoa! Roxie's supposed to know where I am and then tell ME, not the other way around. The 3rd question was the worst: she asked me if the date was still April 11th!!! I grabbed for the cell to phone He Who Knows Where He Is At All Times and in All
Places--no cell service.


Thankfully there was only one road but I did have to choose which direction to go. The choices were 'Mexico' and 'not Mexico' so duh--which one to choose?? The scenery was the most striking since leaving the Hill Country in Texas. I must admit I didn't care for all the creeping things that were out but at the same time I was fascinated by them. Turning the Minnie around to go back and find a snake was not easy but I finally got close to this one.


I watched it--I don't think it was a rattlesnake since there were no rattles and its head was not the right shape. They are such scary critters but I watched it try and cross the road. Just when I was thinking it was going to make it, a truck came flying out of the direction behind me--I didn't even see him--but he ran over the snake. I can't believe the sadness I felt as I watched the snake die. Afterall, we were in his territory and he was just doing his snake thing. Now a snake in my yard is a different story--the snake dies. But this seemed so tragic and senseless. It jerked and twitched and then just kind of went belly-up and was still. I looked at it awhile and then turned the Minnie around once again.
I'm now in the same RV park in Tombstone that I stayed in two weeks ago. The wind has chased me here and now the RV is starting to rock again. I can't believe I'm going to be dealing with motion sickness another night!! And both nights have been in the middle of the desert. I hate wind!!!









2 comments:

mickey said...

mundz3

mickey said...

Girlfren !!! you put up one mo snake picture and i'm never ever looking at yo blog again, you did that jes for me I know you did, shame on you, shame shame shame, you in big trouble !!!!!