Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Hungry,tired and somethin's nibblin' at mah leaves

Welcome happy morning age to age hath come!

The wind is gone--for now. I went looking for the missing vent cover but it must be in Santa Fe by now. I have decided to stop nourishing the inner redneck because the inner Lady Windemere is demanding attention. Men have no idea what it feels like to suddenly realize that your entire superficial self needs a make-over.

If I'd wanted to rough it on this trip I would have done the sleeping on the ground tent thing. Mah hands look like a field hand's and mah nails look like a grease monkey. I am convinced that RVs are designed to scratch, cut, break nails (then break'em again), bang your head and strain your back. I look around at the paper bag duct taped over the bedroom vent (to keep the light out) and the aluminum baking pan duct taped up into the bathroom vent and all I can think of is that family in Grapes of Wrath. It's just symptomatic that I can't I can't even remember the name of the family--not Jed Clampett, not Henry Fonda--what was their name? Goad? Does it matter? NO.

I didn't bring the right kind of hair conditioner and the 12 volt or whatever curling iron I bought at the RV store wouldn't curl the hair on a poodle. Fortunately I did bring some cute hats to cover the tresses when they go bad but none of them can stay on in the wind. Oh, I tell you, sisters, when things go bad, there's nothing that can help but a day at the beauty parlor. And just go ahead and guess how many beauty parlors there are for women traveling along I-10???

The good news is that I spotted two Starbucks in El Paso--the bad news was that they both were 82 lanes over from my lane and could have been in Mexico for all it mattered.

Today I don't want to do guy things. I don't want to mess with hook-ups and an uncooperative computer and iffy internet. I want to go shopping and get a french manicure and sit in Starbucks and drink coffee with a good friend. Alas and alack--life on the road is having some drawbacks.

I am going to head off today without posting a flight plan. I don't like I-10 so I think I will just go somewhere else. As long as the Navigator shows north or west it ought to work out okay. When I get tired, I will stop. I never want to have another day like yesterday!!

More later if and when I find a place with wifi and no wind!

3 comments:

mickey said...

aahhhh, tried to get you on yer cell today, nobody home, maybe you done blowed away !! Like the picture, nice try with the fake smile of happiness and just love dem shades !!!

Jim said...

Hey Ratt,
Looks like a bad hair day for you. That wind done messed it up some, i suspect. Where are you?

Bobbi said...

That reminds me of the old days being on the road with my truck driver fiance. Hair not right, short showers and nothing seeming to be "girlfriendly"